Ann Coulter’s “Stupid” Tweet

by Bob Quasius

Conservative author and pundit Ann Coulter has made a small fortune selling books mocking and castigating liberals. Not unlike other book authors, she stays in the media limelight, and doesn’t mind being a “flame thrower”, which helps her sell books.

Coulter often makes good points about media bias, liberals ‘playing the race card’, etc. However, she also makes ‘over the top remarks’ remarks at times that detract from her message. I’ve blogged about her rhetoric on immigration, which I found rather appalling.

At last night’s debate, Ann Coulter tweeted:

Just two days ago, Ann Coulter was on Fox News blasting Eva Longoria for a retweet in which a twitter follower tweeted conservative women and minorities are “stupid” and Mitt Romney is a “racist” and “mysinogist.”

Cafe Con Leche Republicans and others were very critical of Eva Longoria’s tweet, and she promptly apologized and made clear she respects conservatives. No one else we’ve criticized has ever reached out to us and offered an olive branch, which speaks well of Eva Longoria. The situations are somewhat different in that Ann Coulter does not hold any official capacity with the Romney campaign, while Eva Longoria is a national co-chair of the Obama for America campaign.

Ann Coulter should apologize, both to President Obama and to those afflicted with Down Syndrome and their families, many of whom I’m certain are upset about Coulter’s tweet. We don’t support President Obama and are very critical of his job performance as president, but he’s not lacking in intelligence either. Such name calling is major part of the problem with politics these days, whether it comes from the left or from the right, and the tenor of the debate badly needs to improve.

Will Ann Coulter do the classy thing and apologize? Past experience with Coulter suggests she will not apologize, but she’s welcome to surprise me.

####

Bob Quasius is the founder and president of Cafe Con Leche Republicans.

Tags: , ,

Discuss: “Ann Coulter’s “Stupid” Tweet”

1. October 23, 2012 at 7:38 am #

thank you for your comments suggesting that Ann “Coldter” should apologize for her unbelievably ignorant comment, but I would like to gently remind you that people with Down syndrome are not “patients”. They are not sick or convalescing-they just happen to have one more chromosome than we do, and they “rock that chromosome!”

Posted by sally y
    • October 23, 2012 at 8:06 am #

Good point. Let me see if I can word smith that a bit.

Posted by bquasius
  2. October 23, 2012 at 8:26 am #

Thank you Bob for BOTH of your COMMENTS !!!!!!!

I am letting a number of folk know that you are EXCEEDINGLY Fair in the way that you, Bob, run the Cafe Con Leche Republicans Blog Space!!!!!

You, Bob, SHOULD be proud – although, from ALL that I’ve seen over the past few months, will never let it go to your head – of your PERSONAL INTEGRITY !!!

You are a fine man and I am greatly honored to interact with you!!!!

Thanks for everything that you do, Bob, on the Cafe Con Leche Republicans Blog Space!!!!

Posted by Robert Allen
    • October 23, 2012 at 8:30 am #

Thank you for your kind words Robert.

There’s no excuse for Ann Coulter’s use of the word “retard” in describing Obama, and just as we called out Eva Longoria, it’s fair we call out Ann Coulter too. The question is whether Ann Coulter will show some class and follow Eva Longoria’s lead by apologizing.

Posted by bquasius
  3. October 23, 2012 at 2:41 pm #

Bob,

I’m just curious. Why would you call out children with Down’s? When she used that word, it covered the entire spectrum of developmentally delayed or challenged people in this world – people with Autism or any other kind of special need. The millions of people who have been offended by this definitely deserve an apology, but it’s not just an apology to families affected by Down’s. This was HUGE.

I hope she is human for once and apologizes.

Posted by Kiran
    • October 23, 2012 at 3:03 pm #

I had an uncle with Down Syndrome so that’s the first thing that came to mind.

You do make a good point though. Can you suggest a better term?

I’ve never seen Ann Coulter apologize in the past and would be surprised if this time is different, though notably Michelle Malkin and Sarah Palin called her out. She’s welcome to surprise me though!

This sort of nasty name calling from either side of the aisle is just plain uncivil. While I would defend her right of free speech to my dying breath, she should exercise better self-control and be respectful to others.

Posted by bquasius
      • October 23, 2012 at 3:41 pm #

Bob – you – as the President of Cafe Con Leche Republicans – HAVE a Presidential manner that you use well (for good) (how’s that wordsmithing ?) in RUNNING this Blog Space.

YOUR LAST Paragraph above – Presidential !!!!!!

Posted by Robert Allen
  4. October 23, 2012 at 5:04 pm #

Ann is just one of the talking heads guarding the inhabitants of Bullsh*t Mountain from rejoining the world of the sane. Fox News is a propaganda machine which dumbs down America by the day through disinformation and their slanted agendas. See their anchors spewing forth feces from their mouths in my visual homage to the network on my artist’s blog at http://dregstudiosart.blogspot.com/2012/10/the-fox-news-scylla-guardian-of-bullsht.html

Posted by Brandt Hardin
    • October 23, 2012 at 5:16 pm #

In my lifetime I’ve seen many examples of bias in other media outlets besides Fox, and I’ve also seen some good objective reporting from Fox, particularly Fox News Latino. I don’t believe that your sweeping generalization of Fox is the full picture.

Studies show 89% of journalists are liberal Democrats. Having mentioned that, I’ll also observe that many journalists do a good job of retaining their objectivity regardless of their personal sentiments, while some are so far removed from anyone who isn’t as liberal they don’t realize they allow bias to creep into their work. Of course each journalist is an individual and should be looked at individually, so please don’t assume my statement is meant in any way, shape or form to apply to all journalists. I often talk with journalists and many are very fair and objective.

Posted by bquasius
      • October 23, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

Great Website – Brandt !!!! I HIGHLY recommend the puppy to ALL !!!

To Bob Quasius and your last comment –

This reminds me of one of those great song sequences – FROM our National Poet – back in the day – Bobby Dylan -

“Now, I’m liberal, but to a degree
        I want ev’rybody to be free
        But if you think that I’ll let Barry Goldwater
        Move in next door and mary my daughter
        You must think I’m crazy !
        I wouldn’t let him do it for all the farms in Cuba.”

Yup, for MY Generation – Bobby Dylan IS the National Poet !!!

Source – 4th Verse – http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/bobdylan/ishallbefreeno10.html.

Posted by Robert Allen